CHEN Shixuan's Research Group
Muti-functional 3D nanofiber scaffold group
Dr. CHEN Shixuan received his BS degree in Pharmaceutical Engineering from Jiangsu Ocean University in 2010, and a Ph.D. degree in Basic Medicine from Southern Medical University in 2015. He joined Jingwei Xie’s Lab, University of Nebraska Medical Center, for postdoc training from November 2015 to May 2021. Chen laboratory’s research interests center on the synthesis, surface modification, self-assembly of materials at nanometer scale to address problems in the field of tissue engineering, regenerative medicine and drug/gene delivery. Our research programs are built upon interdisciplinary subjects including materials science, engineering, biology and medicine. We develop novel, smart biomaterials with well-controlled composition, structure and functional properties. We employ analytical tools in materials science, biology and medicine to characterize these biomaterials as either scaffolds or drug/gene carriers. Specifically, we are interested in use of nano-structured materials together with signaling molecules to regulate cell/stem cell behaviors for regenerating various types of tissues. We are also interested in developing nanofibrous materials for topical delivery of therapeutic agents (e.g., antimicrobial peptides, chemotherapeutic drugs, cytokines, and growth factors).
- The preparation of hierarchically assembled 3D nanofiber scaffold and its application in the biomedical field;
- The design of porous and rough microspheres for minimally invasive surgery and stem cell delivery
- The fabrication of super-elastic cryogel nanofiber scaffold and its application in the biomedical field
- Shixuan Chen; Hongjun Wang; Valerio Luca Mainardi; Giuseppe Talò; Alec McCarthy; Johnson V. John; Matthew J. Teusink; Liu Hong; Jingwei Xie; Science Advances, 2021, 7, eabg3089.
- Shixuan Chen; Alec McCarthy; Johnson V. John; Yajuan Su; Jingwei Xie; Advanced Materials, 2020, 32(43), 2003754.
- Shixuan Chen; Johnson V. John; Alec McCarthy; Mark A. Carlson; Xiaowei Li; Jingwei Xie; Applied Physics Reviews, 2020, 7(2), 021406.
- Shixuan Chen; Hongjun Wang; Alec McCarthy; Zheng Yan; Hyung Joon Kim; Mark A. Carlson; Younan Xia; Jingwei Xie; Nano Letters, 2019, 19(3): 2059-2065.
- Shixuan Chen; Mark A. Carlson; Yu Shrike Zhang; Yong Hu; Jingwei Xie ; Biomaterials, 2018, 179: 46-59.